Thursday, January 8, 2009

PARIPATETIC PILGRIM: RETURN TO CANTERBURY

Last June I spent a glorious week at Canterbury Cathedral participating in a Benedictine Experience retreat. During that time, I prayed, worked (I dusted in the Great Quire) and studied with a wonderful group of people under the able leadership of Esther de Waal and Fr. Robert Hale.

When I returned home, I discovered that Church Divinity School was offering a course on "Canterbury as Place"--a broad title encompassing the architecture of the Cathedral, liturgy, theology, hospitality and the "place" of Canterbury Cathedral as the heart of the Anglican Communion. Having been moved by my experiences there last June, I could not resist the opportunity to be there again, albeit "In the Bleak Midwinter". So tomorrow I "hop the pond" for a week of study, prayer and reflection, hoping to gain an even deeper understanding of the place that is Canterbury Cathedral,

In addition, I hope to do a "side-bar" project. While there last June, I felt a deep sense of belonging and acceptance. Part of this was due to their efforts to incorporate persons with disabilities into their life and worship. But it was more than being handed materials in Large Print, which proved very helpful. I would like to find out where their open and welcoming attitude comes from and how it is nurtured.

Hopefully, I will be able to post while I am there, or shortly after, to tell you of my experience returning to one of my favorite places in all the world, Canterbury Cathedral.

No comments: